There was a book I had to read in High School called, “Pilgrims Progress”! It’s an allegory of a Christian’s pilgrimage to the Celestial City. At one point he finds himself in a valley called “humiliation”. He soon discovered that God had to bring him there to help him see the depth of his sin. It was in this valley that pride was pruned from his life and his love for Christ grew. God had to bring Christian to this valley because somewhere along his journey he became very pleased with his progress and was very desirous of reward and recognition. He had let it slip from his mind the reality that his progress thus far was by God’s grace alone.
CONTENDING WITH PRIDE
There is a very dangerous sin that, in my estimation, is doing more to hold back revival, destroy homes, ruin this nation, cause Christians to live in failure and defeat, and fill hell than any other sin. Very frankly, it is the sin of pride.
Pride is such a deceitful sin. Many people who are infected and infested with pride have no idea that they are. As a matter of fact, the proud person is often very proud of his humility.
What Is Pride?
Simply put, pride is an attitude of independence from God.
Pride Divides & Destroys
Pride divides society. There has never been an argument, a war, a divorce, nor a church split that pride was not the major factor. Proverbs 13:10 states, “Only by pride cometh contention…” and Proverbs 28:25 says, “He that is of a proud heart stirreth up strife….” If God resists the proud, then the proud man is out of fellowship with God. Anyone who is out of fellowship with God is going to be out of fellowship with other people.
Pride destroys souls. Pride ultimately destroys all that it controls. It is the road to ruin. Proverbs 15:25 says, “The Lord will destroy the house of the proud….” Also, Proverbs 16:18-19 says, “Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.” The seeds of destruction are in pride. I’m telling you, pride is the road to ruin; it is filling hell.
GOOD NEWS is Christian from Pilgrims Progress beat the giant of Pride, and now is truly free!! Now Christian is able to declare a new sound!! (Open link and read the lyrics) Make this your Declaration today…Jesus is Enough!
It Is Enough” by Ken Puls
- Have you ever found yourself in the valley of humiliation and asked, “why God”? Are you there now?
- Evaluate your heart today and compare yourself with Christ. Are you heading in the right direction? What was Jesus’ posture? Philippians 2 tells us, he came not in the form of a ruler but a servant.
- How does one move from the chains of prideful self-obsession to the freedom of humble self-service?
- Whose sins should I be focused on? Mine. (Romans 8:13)
- Who is the focus of my joy, security, and contentment? Christ. (1 Peter 1:8–9)
- Who should be the focus of my service? Others, and especially fellow Christians. (Philippians 2:3–4)
- Lead your group in a time of prayer and repentance.