Our world has gone through a pandemic. We are going through a war (Ukraine), cultural changes in our society (gender fluidity), racial tensions, and shifts in our economy. The only way for us to survive and make it through and actually thrive during this time is to be under the shadow of the Almighty.
Just as the children of Israel were protected by the cloud and the fire in the wilderness, we are protected when we dwell in the secret place. The secret place is His Presence, knowing Him, and having a relationship with Him. We have to know Him as God Most High, as Almighty. It cannot be a theoretical knowledge. We have to have an experience with Him. When we dwell, that is, live in the secret place, His presence, we are able to remain stable, fixed under His shadow. When we are in His shadow, He becomes our protection, our defense. (Ps 91:1-2)
Ps 91 talks about traps, deadly pestilence, (plagues), terrors (like hurricanes, tornados, 9/11), arrows, (evil plots and slanders), destruction, and sudden death. All these are a given; All these things have occurred and will occur but God’s promise to us is that even though a thousand may fall at our side and ten thousand at our right hand, it will not come near us.
God kept the Israelites in the wilderness; their garments did not wear out, their feet didn’t swell, sandals didn’t wear out, there was none feeble among them and He brought them out with silver and gold. (Deut 8:4, 29:5, Ps 105:37) We who are in the new covenant, under the Blood of Jesus, can we not access the same blessings and go beyond? Those who know their God will do valiantly—great exploits. We are called to manifest His kingdom and His power. We are called to be His ambassadors to this dying world – demonstrating His kingdom and His power. The only way to do that is to learn to abide in the secret place.
Consider the following questions:
1. Honestly evaluate—are we truly living in the secret place—are we living in His presence or meeting with Him on Sundays and then going and doing our own thing?
2. Are we making time to dwell in His presence? Is it a priority?
3. Do we know Him or are we still in the “we know about Him” stage?
4. Moses knew God, knew His ways but the children of Israel knew His acts. Which category are we in?
1. Water Baptism next Sunday, May 29
2. OCSM Classes
3. Encounter weekend postponed to September 23-24
4. Small group leaders meeting June 5