Salvation . Water . Spirit
Just three words. So much to unwrap. How can three little words carry so much power? It’s because each word is not only a word, but an INVITATION. An invitation that opens a world to be discovered.
Just think for a moment what your life would be like if you never unwrapped the word salvation. It’s difficult to express the gut wrenching feeling that rises up in me just at the thought of it. What’s even more shocking is the fact that the discovery hasn’t come to an end yet, even after 23 years. AMAZING! Just ONE WORD, ONE INVITATION has forever marked me.
These three power packed words not only stand alone perfectly, but they also share a common theme, which is Baptism.
1. SALVATION- (1st Baptism) The Holy Spirit baptizes us in Jesus. The Holy Spirit reveals Jesus to us, and when we repent and believe in Jesus we are saved (1 Cor. 12:13).
2. WATER- (2nd Baptism) The disciples baptize us in water. Our old life is put away when we get water baptized. After salvation, a believer makes a conscious decision to get water baptized. (Romans 6:3–4)
3. SPIRIT – (3rd Baptism) Jesus baptizes us in the Holy Spirit. All four gospels (Matthew 3:11, Mark 1:8, Luke 3:16, John 1:33) confirm how Jesus baptizes us in the Holy Spirit. When we are baptized in the Holy Spirit, we are empowered to live our new life in Christ.
It would be silly to think anything that we’ve been discussing can be earned. The gospel is GOOD NEWS because Jesus has made all this available to us. Our action of accepting each invitation is all the Lord is looking for. You cannot become “good enough.” It is a gift from God. Ask, and it shall be given to you.
1. Share about your salvation experience.
2. Have you been water baptized? Share your experience.
3. Read Acts 19:1-5 How does this passage show the importance of all three baptisms? What was your perspective of the baptism of the Holy Spirit when you first got saved?
4. Luke 11:11–13. What is the promise in this scripture?